Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fireproof, Reigniting Passion


“I'm going to send you something in the mail,” says the devout father to his son, Caleb, whose marriage is falling apart. “It's going to take 40 days.”
Oh God, I'm thinking, an unabashed endorsement of Rick Warren in yet another choose-Jesus-and-he'll-fix-all-your-problems film by Christians who belittle the real suffering. What about Christians who get divorced? What about non-Christians who live long and happy marriages? This is ridiculous…
But it wasn't Rick Warren, and I actually enjoyed Fireproof. Yes, its language was the “Christianese” of pulpits and devotionals, and the man's marriage did in fact get 'fixed' by his new-found faith, but despite that the film wasn't all that predictable (this was refreshing after the stock plots I've seen from Hollywood lately).
Produced by Sherwood Pictures, a ministry of Sherwood Baptist Church out of Albany, GA, Fireproof is a story about personal transformation through Jesus Christ brought about by a devotional designed to fix broken marriages.
I figured they'd get back together by the end (and in the mean time both become Christians), but the 'along the way' stuff was up and down, unpredictable, and, frankly, suspenseful. I actually laughed (almost a new feeling for me in a movie theater).
I happen to think that theology and dating shouldn't mix, but if you do, or if you can bracket the theology and pay attention to the story, then I openly and honestly recommend Fireproof.

-Thomas Johnson, Copy Editor

No comments: